Thursday 8 May 2008

Neko-kun!!!

My parents told me yesterday that we might be getting a cat :D It wouldn't be until August sometime if we decided we were going to get one, because we'd be getting a kitten and we're going away for a week at the end of July. It'd be cruel to get a kitten and then leave it in a cattery or on it's own for a week.

I don't mean completely on it's own, of course. I mean with my neighbours feeding it and stuff. Obviously.

It kind of scuppers my plans for getting mice, though. I'm already worried about the cat + fish combination.

Anyway, Mum wants a neutered tomcat, because they generally have really sweet natures (female cats are moody things, I should know. I don't know how often I've got scratches from Cleo while I'm looking after her for my neighbours) so we spent ages yesterday thinking of a male name for it. I personally like Gizmo, Mum wants to call it TC (short for 'The Cat'), Dad liked Poppy (until we pointed out it was a girl's name) and then Blaze, and my sister keeps picking names form a big book on mythology (no matter how many times I tell her we are NOT calling it Hercules!)

This might take a while.

Anyway, it's not definite that we're getting one. We have to sort out things like insurance, food costs, collars and microchips and toys and baskets and shots and flea prevention etc etc. But after the discussion it looks fairly likely that we might be getting one.

But my parents won't let me name it on my own, which is probably wise. It would end up being Kyo or Lelouch or Renji, or some other anime name. Although I might suggest Koga when I get home. Koga is a good name for a cat. I originally wanted ot name it after a philospher (after all, three of the fish are called Galileo, Dante and Aristotle) but the only one I could think of that had something to do with cats was Schrodinger, and Dad gave that one a definitive NO. So no Schrodinger. I'm not that bothered about that. It's not a very nice name.

I think the name should end in an O, though, in keeping with the other cats on our street (my neighbours have Cleo, and the people up the road have Hugo and Theo). Which is why Gizmo is purrfect for it.

No comments: